Planned Parenthood is Bad at Math

1153

Within the next few days or weeks, the Center for Medical Progress will likely reveal another one of their horrific videos uncovering the brutality that occurs at Planned Parenthood clinics across our nation.Which means that we will have to endure another cycle of media blackouts, desperate pro-lifers trying to get these videos to be seen, and a society so numb to evil that they’ll look for anything else to be outraged about (hey, football kicks off this weekend, let’s pay attention to that!).

So far, Planned Parenthood has failed to put forward a single convincing defense. Their response has been mostly to fall into ad hominem attacks, strawman arguments, deflections, and lies. One of the biggest lies is their claim that abortion is only 3% of their services.

How Planned Parenthood Lies About The 3% Figure

Planned Parenthood

Source: NPR

You can hide a lot in statistics, and this graph is a perfect example of Planned Parenthood hiding the truth. Let’s look at a few facts.

Planned Parenthood Performs 327,528 Abortions Per Year

400,000 US Soldiers died during World War II. We memorialize these soldiers for their great sacrifice.

In just over 14 months, Planned Parenthood causes the same number of deaths.

Not only is the 3% statistic a lie, it is a deflection. Planned Parenthood wants you to believe that they really aren’t that involved in abortion. After all, 3% of anything doesn’t sound like that much, does it?

9/10 Women Go to Planned Parenthood For Abortions

This is where Planned Parenthood’s lie begins to be exposed.

9 out of 10 pregnant women who go to Planned Parenthood end up having an abortion. For every adoption referral they give, they perform 145 abortions.

So how does this actually work if only 3% of their services are abortions? What makes up the other 97% of their services?

Multiple Services for One Abortion

When a woman has an abortion, she’ll likely be required to receive other services in addition to that abortion. For example, Planned Parenthood will want to confirm that she is indeed pregnant, so they’ll administer a pregnancy test. They’ll also want to perform some health checks on the woman as well.

The problem with Planned Parenthood’s math is that each of these services is counted individually, and not bundled.

National Review Online explains this perfectly:

By Planned Parenthood’s math, a woman who gets an abortion but also a pregnancy test, an STD test, and some contraceptives has received four services, and only 25 percent of them are abortion [related]. This is a little like performing an abortion and giving a woman an aspirin, and saying only half of what you do is abortion.

So how does this look using actual numbers? Here are Planned Parenthood’s actual numbers:

Let’s look just at one section of this report: Prenatal Services. We know that 90% of pregnant women who enter the doors of Planned Parenthood will ultimately have an abortion. We also know that Planned Parenthood also separates their services to make the abortion services appear to be lower than they are.

From here, we just have simple math: (1,179,263 services classified as prenatal * 0.9) + 333,964 = 1,395,300.7 of services are related to abortion. That’s just under 10%.

What About ‘Emergency Contraception’?

But there is more in those numbers. Emergency contraception is a nice way of saying “we’ll kill your baby without it being really gross, and you can just call it contraception”.

The left has worked very hard to debunk the idea that emergency contraception is actually an abortificant. The most common defense is that emergency contraception doesn’t disrupt an ‘established’ pregnancy. Note the language: they admit that a woman can be pregnant, but not yet established.

But recent studies show that emergency contraception are actually abortificants. 

https___www_lozierinstitute_org_wp-content_uploads_2014_09_On-Point-Wills-New-Studies-Show-All-Emergency_pdf

Planned parenthood doesn’t always need vacuums and acids to kill babies, they can do it through medicine as well.

So How Many Babies Are Killed Through EC?

Our previous total of abortion-related services was 1,395,300. To that number, we can add 1,425,746 abortions through EC, bringing our total to 2,821,046. We are quickly approaching 30% of Planned Parenthood’s services being abortion related.

Of course, not everyone will buy the notion that EC is the same as abortion (even though it is). Even if we discount EC as being non-abortion related, we know that buried within every abortion, Planned Parenthood bundles together necessary services. So a liberal may try to discount EC as an abortion, but it would miss the point: Planned Parenthood loves abortion.

Who Can Be Proud of 3%?

This entire argument, however, begs the question: if the number of abortions was really 3% of all services, would that make Planned Parenthood forgivable? Consider the following statements:

  • A man beats his wife, but that’s OK, because he only beats her 3% of the time. The other 97% of the time he’s a great husband.
  • A man cheats on his wife, but only 3% of the year. The other 97% of the year he’s faithful.
  • A drunk driver hits only 3% of the vehicles he sees in a night. The other 97% of passing cars get by without any problems.
  • A rapist only rapes 3% of women he meets.

I could go on, but you probably get the point.

When You Hear Someone Say 3%…

Point them to this article. The left has spread it’s lies, but truth is stronger than a lie, and you don’t have to work too hard to defend the truth.


Mark Philips is the general editor for ConservativeNewsHub.com.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *